14 Apr HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS SUPPORT LIFE IN SPAIN
April 16, 2009
HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS SUPPORT LIFE IN SPAIN
SPAIN – March, 2009
The forces of life stood together in support of an amazing movement called Rallies for the Right to Live, which was held in the country of Spain on Sunday, March 29th. Momentously, over 800 world wide organizations representing over 250 million men and women supported one of the greatest shows of support for the unborn. United Families International was one of the organizations that voiced its support.
The Spanish Government got the message loud and clear as 500 thousand individuals protested in over 80 cities across Spain on behalf of the defense for the right to live.
Protesters called on socialist Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero to stop the proposed legislation that would liberalize the abortion laws and threatened to continue a wave of pro-life demonstrations throughout the legislative session. In Madrid alone, over 100 thousand marchers were heard chanting the slogan, “There is no right to kill, there is a right to live”.
Under the current law abortion is permitted up to 12 weeks in cases of rape and 22 weeks in cases of “fetal malformation”. The proposed legislation allows abortion on demand up to 14 weeks and 22 weeks if a threat to the health of the mother or “fetus” is certified by a doctor. The legislation takes consent away from parents of girls 16 to 18.
One of the organizers of the movement, Ignacio Arsuago of Hazte Oir (Make Yourself Heard) said, “This is only the beginning, a true plan of support for pregnant women (is needed) so that they can give birth to their children and as a last resort, if necessary, give them up for adoption.”
At the Madrid Rally, the Madrid Declaration on Abortion was read. The document, signed by over 300 medical experts – including researchers, professors, journalists, professionals, and specialists in humanities and social sciences, defends the “absolute value of the right to life by taking sides against the initiative promoted by the Zapatero’s Government of changing the juridical status of abortion with the aim of introducing abortion without restrictions in Spain.”
Lola Velarde- President of the European Network of the Institute of Family Policy, another organization that sponsored the Rallies was quoted as saying, “The protection of the rights of the child in the prenatal period is a value shared through all civilizations and is a generator of authentic alliance. This fact has been manifested through the support shown from so many associations from around the world.”
Groups from France, Germany, Switzerland, Norway, Malta, Poland, United Kingdom, Portugal, Slovakia, Hungary, United States, Canada, Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Panama and Brazil among others have supported Spain’s initiative in defense of the rights of the unborn child.
United Families International lent its support to our allies across the Atlantic. We were quoted as saying, “We at United Families International give thanks to our pro-life friends in Spain for all they are doing to stop the needless destruction of human life and the institution of the family. Government liberalization of abortion laws must be stopped. We encourage all to be involved in this most important battle of our lives”
A list of some of the supporters of the Rallies for Life:
- Red Familia – 630 associations in Latin AmericaUnión Iberoamericana de Asociaciones de Padres de Familia y Padres de
- Unión Iberoamericana de Asociaciones de Padres de Familia y Padres deAlumnos -UNIAPA – 12 Associations in Latin America
- Alumnos -UNIAPA – 12 Associations in Latin AmericaAIC – 53 associations in Africa, Latin America, Asia, Europe and
- AIC – 53 associations in Africa, Latin America, Asia, Europe and USRed Iberoamericana del Instituto de Política Familiar
- Red Iberoamericana del Instituto de Política FamiliarUnited Families International
- United Families InternationalCatholic Families and Human Rights Institute
- Catholic Families and Human Rights InstituteAssociation of Large Families (Hungary)
- Association of Large Families (Hungary)International Organizations Law Group (US)
- International Organizations Law Group (US)Forum Zivota-Forum
- Forum Zivota-Forum por la Vida – 30 NGOs from the Slovak RepublicAlliance Defense Fund (US)
- Alliance Defense Fund (US)Gift of Life (Malta)
- Gift of Life (Malta)International Organizations Research Group (US)
- International Organizations Research Group (US)Family Confederation (Portugal)
- Family Confederation (Portugal)Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC) – (Great Britain)
- Society for the Protection of Unborn Children (SPUC) – (Great Britain)Concerned Women of America (US and Canada)
- Concerned Women of America (US and Canada)Familiennetzwerk (Germany)
- Familiennetzwerk (Germany)European Population Research Institute
- European Population Research InstituteInstitute for Family Polices’ European Network
- Institute for Family Polices’ European NetworkMuévete Chile
- Muévete ChileMission of “Saint Ildefonso” in Asia
- Mission of “Saint Ildefonso” in AsiaFundación Pro (Poland)
- Fundación Pro (Poland)Mexico
- Mexico por la vida A.C. (Mexico)Pasionistas Group (Panama)
- Pasionistas Group (Panama)
- More than 100 Spanish NGOs
Voice of the Nation – Family Values Blog Talk Radio
Tune in on Thursdays or listen to past shows by clicking here!
Call in to VOICE OF THE NATION this Thursday at 2pm PST. The number is 347- 215-6801.
The Family Needs You!
Donate $25, $50, $100, $250, $500 or EVEN $1000 Today!
Please donate $25, $50, $100, $250, $500, or EVEN $1000 to protect the family. We cannot do it without you. We are working hard to protect the family. Please show your support for this great work by donating $25, $50, $100, $250, $500, or EVEN $1000 now.