Why do weakened/destroyed families and the destruction of a belief in God allow a totalitarian government to flourish? It tears down the walls of defense and strength that these institutions provide. The following are some of the goals of Communism for the United States:
- Continue discrediting American culture by degrading all forms of artistic expression. An American Communist cell was told to ‘eliminate all good sculpture from parks and buildings, substitute shapeless, awkward and meaningless forms’. Control art critics and directors of art museums. “Our plan is to promote ugly repulsive, meaningless art.”
- Break down cultural standards of morality by promoting pornography and obscenity in books, magazines, motion pictures, radio and TV.
- Present homosexuality, degeneracy, and promiscuity as ‘normal, natural, healthy.’
- Eliminate prayer or any phase of religious expression in the schools on the ground that it violates the principle of ‘separation of church and state.’
- Transfer some of the powers of arrest from the police to social agencies. Treat all behavioral problems as psychiatric disorders which no one but psychiatrists can understand or treat.
- Discredit the family as an institution. Encourage promiscuity and easy divorce. Emphasize the need to raise children away from the negative influence of parents. Attribute prejudices, mental blocks and retarding of children to suppressive influence of parents. (The Naked Communist – W.C. Skousen)
Faith is a force from the heavens above, the belief that God’s word is more important than man’s. Family is a force from the grass roots below, the belief that the fundamental unit of society is what makes up and controls all larger institutions.
When faith and family weaken, the middle institution of government swells – partly because of its inherent thirst for power, and partly to try to do the social jobs that family and religion are no longer doing. If government is not balanced and held in check, it will expand and grow at the expense of individual freedom and independence.
The problem is that government, when compared to family or to religion, is horribly expensive and inefficient at handling social problems of welfare, justice and moral training.
This is why communist and socialist governments, and all totalitarian regimes, try to eliminate religion and undermine families. Churches and synagogues are marginalized and eventually banned; and families are unfairly taxed or depleted. The norms and personal priorities in such societies begin to shift away from responsibility and family focus and toward materialism and self-focus. People begin to abandon parenthood and family ideals in favor of more personal comfort and ‘freedom.’ Even in ‘free’ countries, the secular, materialistic abandonment of faith and family creates a ‘cult of the individual,’ where selfish options are valued more than commitment and sacrifice – and where we hear much about individual rights and individual freedom and being true to yourself but little about family rights and religious freedom.
This creates weaker rather than stronger people. David Brooks of the New York Times put it this way: “People are not better off when they are given maximum personal freedom to do what they want. They’re better off when they are enshrouded in commitments that transcend personal choice – commitments to family, God, craft and country.”
We seem to have a lot of things backwards. We think that poverty and crime and drugs and bad public policy are destroying families. We even hear that a natural traditional family is now a luxury that only the rich or highly educated can afford. In fact, it is the decline of families and of faith that is creating poverty, crime, abuse, addiction and bad politics. Solid family life, far from being a luxury, is the only way to survive and to help society survive. (Richard and Linda Eyre – New York Times best-selling authors)
There will be many who are stunned that what they thought was a decision that only affected them, is playing right into America’s deadliest enemy. Such choices as abortion, childlessness, divorce, playing into the ‘plot’ to get children away from their mothers, fathers, preoccupation with materialism, etc.
Next blog: Death by EPA; hiding place for Communism.