On January 23rd, hundreds of thousands of people traveled to our nation’s capital to protest the Supreme Court decision legalizing abortion. The protest has been going on for years and has gained not only momentum, but numbers…especially among the younger crowd.
Katie Hinderer, a freelance writer and social media enthusiast writes,
“I think a large part of the movement’s growth is due to the use of social media and the determination of several outspoken and creative young people. Last summer I had the privilege to meet Lila Rose, the courageous and tenacious leader of Live Action. Honestly I have never met a young woman who was so well spoken, articulate and convincing. She is entirely behind ending abortion in this country and she won’t stop until she sees that day come.
Lila’s group was the first to go undercover into Planned Parenthood clinics to uncover the unsafe and illegal practices. Since then, the group, run almost entirely by young professionals and college students, has taken the internet by storm and given many like-minded young people a place to communicate and become empowered.
The group continues to investigate Planned Parenthood and, more importantly, push for an end to abortion. It offers resources so that all young people can know the facts about abortion. Its Facebook group has more than 250,000 likes and its Twitter account has about 6,100 followers. It’s YouTube videos have been viewed almost 3 million times.
And if Live Action and its followers weren’t enough proof, all you needed to do that day was open your Facebook page and read through the newsfeed. Mine was filled with prolife statements and links. Things like:
- ‘It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.’ – Mother Teresa
- ‘A person’s a person no matter how small.’ Let’s END Abortion.
- ‘The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the first and only legitimate object of good government.’ – Thomas Jefferson.
- Saving babies, one cheer at a time along with thousands of others!!! – at Capitol Hill, Washington, D.C.
- ‘He who denies that human life begins with conception does not need to contend with religion, but science. To deny this certainty of biology is not to express a lack of faith, but a lack of basic knowledge of human genetics, something that is even known by the general public.’
- ‘I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.’- Ronald Reagan
- ‘There are two victims in every abortion: a dead baby and a dead conscience.” – Mother Teresa
- I’m pro-life because I’m pro-woman.
- Attended the March for Life today with an inspiring, passionate group of men from Gonzaga. So proud to be here.
It gives me hope to see so many people, especially so many young people, standing up for life from conception to natural death. It gives me peace to see that this is a fight we are entering proudly and determinedly. And it gives me courage to speak out more often in defense of human life.”